Koh Samui Where to Dine
One of the things that makes Samui so appealing is the fact that you can still stop at a street cart for a 30 baht plate of Phat Thai or Fried Rice, while just around the corner a lavish buffet is being served on the beach. All the options are here, including several Thai vegetarian restaurants. Like to try cooking your own Thai food or learn more about how it's done? With the establishment of a modern Culinary Institute opened in 1998 especially for visiting foreigners, as well as cooking demonstrations at some of the island's large hotels, you can.
In recent years an international community of entrepreneur restaurateurs have brought to Samui the cuisines of Japan, Italy, Germany, India, Switzerland, France, Sweden and Mexico, among others. Good Western cuisine can now be found in almost every village on the island. Need a "back home" style snack or a fast-food fix? There are excellent bakeries, ice cream parlors, and the island's first Big Macs will arrive in Chaweng sometime this year.
If you stay long enough for your digestive system to begin to get acclimated, you might try eating at one of the outdoor evening markets that locals frequent. Here you will find some of Samui's most authentic (and spicy!) Thai food. The seating arrangements may be crude and the air filled with the noise of nearby locals relaxing after work with Karaoke, but the food will be hot, tasty and cheap.
All restaurants and food vendors serve safe bottled drinking water, and most use clean factory-made ice cubes. Vegetables are washed in tap water but safe when cooked. You may want to avoid eating raw ones.
Many seafood restaurants display their wares on ice for customers to see. When choosing fish, look for bright (not cloudy) eyes, and a bright crimson color under the gills. The fish should be firm to the touch. Don't hesitate to smell shellfish for freshness before choosing it.
- Khiang Le : 124 Mu 7 Tambon Kadae Tel: 0-7725-5243 (seafood) Amphoe Muang
- Sun Hiang : 21 Chonkasem Road Tel: 0-7728-1367 , 0- 7727-2180 (seafood)
- Phet Tapi Suki : 184/1 Talat Mai Road Tel: 0-7727-2570
- Lucky : 452/84-85 Talat Mai Road Tel: 0-7727-3267 , 0-7727-3471 (southern-style food)
- Kampan : 2/1 Phakdi Anuson Road Tel: 0-7727-2700 (Thai food)
- Wang Thong : 20 Talat Mai Road Tel: 0-7728-3774 (Thai & Chinese food)
- Tapi Seafood : 30 Mu 3 Paknam Tapi Road Tel: 0-7728-2115 (seafood)
- Takiang : 38/15 Surat Thani-Phunphin Road Tel: 0-7728- 3932-3 (Thai food)
- Hat Tapi : 115/5 Mu 3 Paknam Tapi Road, Tel: 0-7728- 5109 (seafood)
- Chai Huai : 285/1 Talat Mai Road Tel: 0-7727-2969 , 0- 7728-2558 (Thai & Chinese food)Ko Samui